Eating Local for Urban Families. Gluten-free and Dairy-free, too!

Sunday, October 10

Look for the Oatmeal: Hot Apple Maple Bacon Oatmeal Cereal

You can go through your life working hard, doing your best to be a good parent and wife, making a happy home for your family, squeezing in time with friends (or at least sending them supportive little love notes on Facebook) and think that whatever comes from all that effort is as much as is available to anyone in life. And whatever hardships cross your path are just there and there's no way around them.

And you could be very wrong. You could be missing a whole other level of happiness you didn't know was available to you.

I don't like conflict. I hate bringing up things that are difficult to talk about. Things that I think make me look pushy. Or picky. Or demanding.

This is no more evident in my life than with food. I live in one of the most vibrant food cities in the world, with farmers markets in every corner of the city to restaurants run by world-famous chefs to food carts. And yet I get all tied up with anxiety about trying anything new, or going to a restaurant, or any situation where I don't know what food is going to be served, because I'm afraid I'll be stuck eating a house salad (no crutons, vinegar and oil dressing). Or, that when I tell the server that I'm gluten-free they'll say, ignorantly, "It's all vegan!" Or they will refuse to serve me. (It's happened.) Or worse, I'll get sick.

And this is silly. There are ways for me to eat good food whenever I want. It only involves a little planning and speaking up for myself.

Sometimes it takes a good friend, one who is a true problem-solver, who has a perspective far way from your own anxieties, to point out the possibilities you may be missing. Someone like Asha.

At BlogHer this past August I roomed with Asha from Parenthacks. We took some very wrong turns on our Tutus for Tanner run (okay, walk) in Central Park and got back to our special runners' breakfast late. No food left. So we crashed the Newbies Breakfast. I'm always a ball of anxiety over the food at conferences because so much of it is wheat-based pastries and pasta dishes. I may find gluten-free food, but I'm often left hungry. I took one cursory look at the long buffet table and whined about how there wasn't anything for me to eat. I immediately resigned myself to eating Lara bars and lattes all day.

"What about that oatmeal?" Asha asked.

Oh.

Right there was a deep pot of steaming, thick oatmeal. I mean, seriously, right in front of my face.

How many times had I thrown my hands up in the air and missed opportunities because I didn't have my wise friend next to me pointing out what's there for me to freely take?

I cringe to think about this. And I'm not just talking about food. Over the next few weeks I started thinking about the other places I give up without trying: In work situations. In my marriage. With friends. In my own personal projects.

Were they totally gluten-free oats? I wasn't sure but I generally don't have a bad reaction to oatmeal. It was breakfast. I had not been forsaken, which is how I usually feel when I eat outside of my home.

Which really? Is just ridiculous.

And this is easy to miss in my life, because in so many other areas of my life I dive headfirst into what's hard. Really hard. I do lots of things, everyday, that would scare most people, but it doesn't even occur to me to be scared.

So why do I let food interfere with my happiness?

I'm done with this. There is too much good food out there that I can eat. And cook. And grow.

My new mantra: Look for the Oatmeal.


Hot Apple Maple Bacon Oatmeal Cereal
Serves 4



4 cups cooked oatmeal (We eat the GF Bob's Red Mill Oatmeal)
2 small red apples
2 strips cooked bacon, chopped finely
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp chopped nuts
1/2 cup rice milk (or your favorite liquid dairy or dairy substitute)
dash cinnamon
dash salt
maple syrup to taste

1. Chop apples into small chunks, leaving a bit of skin here and there for color.
2. Add rice milk to the oatmeal and turn stove to low.
3. To oatmeal add apples, bacon, brown sugar, nuts, cinnamon and salt. Heat through until apples are just soft, about 7 minutes.
4. Add maple syrup to taste.



8 comments:

Wendy said...

This sounds wonderful! I'm absolutely going to give it a try.

So sorry I didn't get to see you at BH Food, but I'm glad you got to attend -- even if it wasn't in person!

Katherine Gray said...

I missed seeing you, too! I'm really hoping we get back to the Bay Area soon for a visit.

Rhi said...

I love seeing your blog pop up in my Reader!

(also, I think I would learn to like oatmeal if it always had bacon in it)

LeLo said...

I love this.....catching this as one little way you may see the world (half glass empty) and how it effects you in other areas of your life...such a great story. Thank you for reminding me to look for the possibilities, opportunities and strengths, not for what is missing.

P.S. Um, recipe? YUM!

Karen said...

So glad to see your post! Oatmeal is a favorite of mine so I will have to try this one too!
Karen

xiao said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brooke Hernadez said...

My son is going to LOVE this. I can almost smell it through the computer:) My husband will probably enjoy it as well. Thanks:)

Unknown said...

Looks delicious thank you for sharing. I am always on the lookout for healthier breakfast alternatives for my kids this will be great.