Eating Local for Urban Families. Gluten-free and Dairy-free, too!

Friday, June 1

Getting into local eating

Local eating doesn't have to be all or nothing. Just like we all learned in the waste recycling movement, reducing the amount of non-local food products that we eat can make a tremendous difference in our local economy and the world's environmental health.

My family is like many families: my husband and I both work, he in an office in downtown Portland, I have my own business and work at home.We have a preschooler and a toddler. We like to cook and eat well, but we're not chefs and we need guidance in food preparation. And there is only so much time we can devote to grocery shopping.

(And what’s this “we?” I’m the one that cooks in this family. Though my husband is an excellent dish washer.)

So finding out where to get food staples, packaged foods and how to put it all together is a big challenge for us. But as we get into this project, meeting farmers and cheese makers and enjoying the company of friends at the farmers’ markets, it’s also making our lives a lot richer.

No comments: